CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Blendergrl's Weight Loss Tracker

Sunday, January 10, 2010

New recipes

I have been reading blogs for the past few weeks but just have not been able to make myself write an entry to explain why I have not written an entry.. then tonight I thought, why am I feeling guilty for not blogging? So I will not make excuses, just write about what I have been doing.

I had a great Christmas and New Years and have been doing great for the past two weeks at completing the steps to fully recommit to my healthy lifestyle. I am continuing with my attempt to strive for an 80%+ clean eating life. Since Christmas I have added another dimension to this lifestyle choice I have made, I will be cutting out all red meat and poultry for the next six months at least. The seafood that I am eating has all been caught by my DH or friends. I'm not going vegetarian but I have been reading more and more about the hormones etc.. that are pumped into the food we eat, and that scares me! So, I may partake in the occasional local grain fed organic chicken or lamb from down the road but mostly I will am content getting my protein from beans, soy, dairy, seafood and eggs from the farm at the end of my road. This way of eating is a huge change from the way I ate two years ago but the change has been so gradual that it just seems like a logical progression for me. I get such happiness out of creating a delicious and nutritious meal with 'clean' ingredients.

So, eating has been good and under control.. time to work on the real battle in my world. My DH bought me some fun new exercise toys for Christmas that I had asked for. Biggest loser game for the Wii, kettle balls, dumbells for the Wii, new yoga mat bag and towel and a cute pink ipod shuffle for running, I also have borrowed my parents treadmill while they are down south for the next four months. So, I have been working out in my makeshift home gym and I made it to the real gym three times this past week. And tomorrow I start a yoga class at a new studio near work. I have really developed a love for yoga, I love the way my body feels after the class and because of the extreme concentration needed for the positions it is 90 minutes of my day where my mind is focused entirely on myself.

One of my favourite blogs is Natasha's at Girl Stuck in a Rut. She takes pictures of everything she eats during the day and I love looking at all the different things she has prepared. I don't think I could remember to take a picture of all my meals but I am going to try and get back in the habit of posting a snap of new recipes I try out. The first one is from a dinner last week - portabello asparagus goat cheese risotto with roasted prawns. No recipe for this as I just made it up.. I love making risotto!



The next two pictures are from tonight's dinner. First was the usual big salad (a la Seinfeld) but I tried a new dressing. Usually I make my own vinaigrette but this one caught my eye in the grocery store. Only 5 cal per tbsp and I can pronounce all of the ingredients! It was pretty tasty.


Dinner was Salmon Corn Chowder - from Sept/Oct 2009 Clean Eating Magazine

2 medium Russet or Idaho potatoes, peeled
2 carrots, peeled
Olive oil cooking spray
1 stalk celery, diced
1 medium yellow or white onion, diced
1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 T whole-wheat flour
1 c skim milk
1 32-oz container low-sodium chicken broth
2 6-oz cans salmon packed in water, without bones or skin
2 c corn, freshly shucked or frozen
1-2 tsp paprika
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 T dill, finely minced
Place potatoes and carrots in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Boil over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes. Drain potatoes and carrots in a colander and pour cold water over. Let cool for 5 minutes. Remove potatoes and carrots and dice.
Meanwhile, preheat large stockpot over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Mist with cooking spray. Add celery & onion and saute for 2 minutes or until onions become translucent.
Add oil and flour, whisking briskly. Add milk, whisking in a ¼ cup at a time. (This will create a roux, or thickener, for your soup.)
Add broth and cook for at least 5 minutes. If soup seems a little thin, add more flour (no more then 1 T), a ½ tsp at a time, and whisk briskly. Add salmon, diced potatoes and carrots, corn and paprika. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for at least 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add dill just 1 minute before serving.
Nutrients per 1 ½-cup serving: Calories: 210, Total fat: 4.5 g, Sat Fat: 0 g, Carbs: 25 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 16 g, Sodium: 270 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg

This was one of the best chowders I have ever made. It was really flavourful but not heavy. I used Salmon that we had canned this summer and carrots that I am still picking from my garden (gotta love West Coast living!). It was the perfect warm, filling dinner on a rainy Sunday night - I would definitely recommend this recipe.
I have lots of leftovers and packed up my lunch for tomorrow. I don't think I have ever posted a picture of the great 'lunch box' I bought a few months ago. Here is the food all laid out for a delicious lunch and the next picture is of the kit all clipped together. I LOVE this little lunch kit.



Here is a shot of my current favourite breakfast. Two whole grain waffles, organic peanut butter, homemade blackberry jam and a banana from my weekly organic delivery. 350 calories and it keeps me going until lunch.




Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to have you back! All your food looks great...I wanna try making that salmon corn chowder! I've tried to make risotto a few times but it never turns out very good, I don't know what I'm doing wrong:P

Look forward to reading again!

Unknown said...

I've missed ya! :) Good to see a post from you- along with some tasty looking dishes! My BF complains that I never make risotto- one thing it scares me! lol I am famous for messing up rice. Second I know Id eat the entire thing! lol I have POOR portion control with it. lol

JanetM97 said...

Sounds like you're starting off the New Year great! :)

Good luck with your further dip into clean eating. I've been thinking about how much I enjoy my organic delivery and have been buying poultry and meats from a local grocery that has a line of organic meats.

Thanks for the recipes! :)